If you are planning to embark on a residential or commercial renovation or construction project, chances are you will need a roll off dumpster to haul away the waste. However, many homeowners do not understand how dumpster rentals work. Bargains Bins explains the process.
The 5-step dumpster rental process explained
Our dumpster rental service comprises a 5-step process that is outlined below:
Pick a size
Selecting the correct dumpster size for your project is one of the most essential steps of the dumpster rental process. You do not want to pay for a dumpster that is too large for your needs, while getting one that is too small can result in needing to rent a second dumpster or having unexpected fees for exceeding the volume or weight limits. The dumpster sizes Bargain Bins offers are 3 cubic yards, 12 cubic yards, 15 cubic yards and 20 cubic yards. Bargain Bins explains what these specialized bins can be used for:
- Small renovations, such as a single room, or cleanouts
- Mid-sized renovations, such as a kitchen remodel
- Large-scale construction or demolitions, or a basement remodel
Once you know which dumpster size you need, contact dumpster rental services in your local area to get quotes. Provide them with the following for the most accurate quote:
- Location for the dumpster
- Type and amount of waste
- When you need the dumpster and for how long
- Anything else the dumpster service should know
At this stage, you can ask the experts at the dumpster rental service all the questions you have regarding permits, weight capacities and limits, any potential extra fees and the like.
Place the order
Now that you have all the information you need, it is time to place the order for the dumpster. Bargain Bins offers the following tips for a smoother ordering process:
- When placing the order, repeat your address, zip code and type of waste that will be held in the dumpster.
- Provide a date for the delivery of the dumpster with a 24-hour window.
- Find an accessible location for delivery of the dumpster.
Usually, when the rental period is coming to an end, the rental service will send you email notifications of the same. If your dumpster is filled before the scheduled pickup date, and you do not need it anymore, email or call Bargain Bins to schedule an earlier pickup.
Dumpster rental quotes explained
As mentioned previously, it will do you good to request quotes from multiple dumpster rental services in your location. The three main types of dumpster rental services you can use are local companies, national chains or out-of-state brokers.
When receiving quotes, always find out which of the two pricing models the dumpster rental service is offering: variable pricing or all-inclusive pricing.
Under variable pricing, the quoted amount is considered the base rate without the addition of any other fees. Thus, the final invoice may be higher with the inclusion of the added costs such as mileage, weight, franchise fees, taxes and the like.
All-inclusive pricing, on the other hand, is a bundled cost that includes any applicable taxes, rental period, delivery, pickup, disposal, and more. This is the amount that will appear on your final invoice too.
Most people do not realize that there are several circumstances that can lead to you paying more for your dumpster. These include:
- Overage fees if your disposed waste exceeds the weight limit or volume limit in your rental contract.
- Late fees if you keep the dumpster longer than the contract period.
- Penalties can be charged if you dispose of hazardous or prohibited materials such as paint, refrigerators, TVs, and more.
Common dumpster rental contract terms and conditions
For a smooth rental process, always read between the lines in your rental contract. There are important questions that you should ask the service before signing the contract:
- What is the weight limit included in this price?
- What are the items I can put in the dumpster, and what is prohibited?
- Should I call or email to schedule a pickup?
- How will you protect my property i.e., driveways or pathways from the dumpster?
Now that you know how the dumpster rental process works, why not contact Bargain Bins for your own rental dumpster today? We are a local, family-owned business, and we enjoy helping our neighbors. Let us know if you have more questions about how dumpster rentals work.