Small roll off dumpsters can be the perfect choice for residential and commercial projects including renovation, construction and landscaping. However, there are certain items that just cannot be disposed of in a roll off dumpster. Read on to find out more from Bargain Bins.
EPA regulatory information on waste
The EPA is responsible for the regulation of different types of wastes such as household, industrial and hazardous wastes as per the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA). This act has been implemented to:
- Protect humans from hazards related to waste
- Promote recycling and recovery with an aim to conserve energy
- Reduce or eliminate waste
- Recover or clean waste that has been improperly disposed of
Check items for hazardous materials symbols
While disposing of your waste in a small roll off dumpster, it is recommended to check if the materials fall under any of the categories of hazardous materials i.e. Biohazard, Chemical Hazard and Poison. These are characterized by warning signs or symbols. Several chemical household cleaning products such as disinfectants and sprays fall under one of these categories. If your waste product has any of these symbols on it, check its label for proper disposal. However, if the label does not contain disposal instructions, it is imperative you contact the local sanitization authorities to find a hazardous waste collection center to dispose of it.
The 9 hazardous symbols you should know
Apart from the three main categories, there are additional hazard symbols known as the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS), which was adopted in 2016. These are:
- Health Hazard: These products contain carcinogens i.e. cancer-causing substances that are hazardous to the respiratory or reproductive systems over a period of time.
- Flame: These products are hazardous as they can self-ignite when in contact with air (pyrophoric) or water. Other products that produce flammable gas are also labeled with this symbol.
- Exclamation Mark: Products that are narcotic or irritating to the human skin, eyes or the respiratory system are marked with this symbol.
- Gas Cylinder: Stored gas such as ammonia and liquid nitrogen that are stored under pressure are labelled with this symbol.
- Corrosion: These products cause burns or corrosion to the skin or damage to the eyes.
- Exploding Bomb: Self-reactive or unstable products such as organic peroxides are marked with this symbol.
- Flame Over Circle: These products are oxidizers, which can result in fires or prolong existing fires.
- Skull and Crossbones: Highly toxic materials such as poisons or concentrated acids are labelled with this hazard symbol.
- Environmental Hazard: These products are hazardous to aquatic wildlife.
List of prohibited items for small roll off dumpsters
Apart from those mentioned above, there are certain items that are prohibited and must be disposed of in the correct manner. These include:
- Railroad ties
- Paints and lacquers
- Infectious waste
- Contaminated soil & absorbents
- Inks and resins
- Industrial drums
- Food waste
Consequences of illegal dumping
Although illegal dumping may be carried out by a small section of the population in the country, the dire consequences are faced by all. There are adverse effects on the environment and public health due to this menace. Governments are forced to increase taxes on people and businesses to carry out cleanups and properly dispose of these wastes too. However, it is important to know that illegal dumping is a felony or misdemeanor, depending on which state, county, and city you live in. In the state of Colorado, illegal dumping of hazardous material is a class 4 felony. The fines begin at $50 and can go up to several thousand dollars!
For more information on the proper disposal of hazardous waste and what cannot be dumped in a small roll off dumpster, contact Bargain Bins today!